By Jay Jaffin, Vice President of Marketing at Verizon Telematics…
National Organizations for Youth Safety (NOYS) will be joined today by federal, foundation and corporate leaders from around the country to kick of Global Youth Traffic Safety Month.
Global Youth Traffic Safety Month (GYTSM) aims to empower youth to engage in traffic safety projects in their communities. The month-long campaign celebrates and highlights the work being done to save young lives on the road.
Various events will be taking place throughout the District today, emphasizing the importance of providing safer roads, bike paths and walkways for the world’s youth.
Distinguished guests expected at the launch include:
- U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood
- U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin
- National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah Hersman
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control Director Dr. Tom Frieden
- White House Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy Gil Kerlikowske
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator David Strickland
- South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool and Kweku Mandela (grandson of Nelson Mandela)
Can’t make it out for the events today? Follow the activity and join the conversation on Twitter via the official hash tag #GYTSM2013. Check out the full listing of activities in the media advisory below.